Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Puchkas and Puchkewaala






For me, Puchka is the ultimate king of street food. I do not think about the hygiene for that very moment. Its like an ultimate moksha to me, however depressed I am or feeling low.


For my non- indian friends, the description of a puchka should go like this :


A firm semolina dough is rolled into small round pieces called Puris and deep fried into small hollow balls. You take one of these Puris and press your thumb into one side (one side of the puri is always fragile than the other; you would learn that by experience) to make a little opening and then proceed to stuff the puri with several fillings. Then you ceremoniously dunk the puri into spicy water and stuff the dripping puri into your mouth where it explodes into a crispy- spicy treat. In most cases, it is fiery enough that tears spring to your eyes and in that masochistic moment, you know that you are addicted to puchkas.




Today like most number of times, I got down from my office bus next to the Puchkawala near my house. His name is Ajay. I was casually talking to him while gulping Puchkas. Unfortunately he had lost 4 customers few minutes back as he was not at the stall at that time. He then told me how bad it feels when he loses them, and why each one of them is important for him. He said he pays a rent of Rs 3000 per month for the place. I felt it is too high a rent for Ajay. But he still has a smile on his face and serves the puchkas with the same delight as always. I had two rounds instead of one to fill up for atleast 1 out of 4 customers.


Ajay sells Puchkas opposite 64 Full house of Flavours Restaurant in Koramangala near Sweet Charriot

No comments:

Post a Comment