Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sidhuisms pinch me hard

I am sure I am not the only one who is profusely annoyed with Sidhuisms and his cricket commentary on TV - specially the "Extra Innings T20" in the on-going DLF IPL T20.

He does appear in non-cricket TV shows too. Whenever he guffaws his way to silliness in the many reality TV comedy shows that he appears in as judge — and he does — I do not reach a heightened state of paroxysm. I just switch to another channel. I do. I have a choice. But I do not have luxury when I am watching Cricket :(

My cricket viewing commences with the pre-match analysis, the pitch report, expert’s views on team composition, the toss, the respective team captains’ reading of the pitch and their comments on team composition. My viewing experience then moves through the game and into the mid-point review of the game situation and ends with the end-game analysis. There are many like me in India that suffer the need to be continually engaged with the game (You must read the colloquiums in Bakargang during ICC World Cup 2011 - damn impressive!!!). It is also quite likely that not every cricket fan is like me and that I am in a substantial minority.

The match commentary is as important as the match itself. You cannot mute the TV, sit back and assume what must be going on. You need the crowd noise; you need to open your eyes to explore which is not obvious- via anecdotes and personal experiences of the commentators. I need additional insights that can be derived from listening to perspectives from experts who have either played the game or who understand the game differently, if not better, than me. I do not wish to explore and expose Navjot Sidhu’s limitations — and I can fill many pages writing just about his limitations. He has many! To ridicule these limitations in a medium like this would be inappropriate. 

Having said that, I wish someone would tell him that it is not necessary to start every sentence of his with “Goodness Gracious Me” or “Good Lord”! Further, I wish his producers will request him to stop using phrases like “my friend” or “you knowwwweee” in every sentence. I either know or I do not know. If he is not stating the obvious, it is likely that I might not “know”! The alternative, of course, is that I already “know”. In which case, he states nothing more than the obvious!

I do not have a choice of another channel that shows me my cricket in the way I wish to see it! 

Enter the broadcaster.....

My issue is with the broadcaster who lures me with the scholastics of Harsha Bhogle and Ian Chappell, only to leave me at the mercy of a lunatic screaming around

Hence I plead with the broadcaster: Please have two parallel programs. After all, you have several channels on which you can pipe parallel pre-show programs. Please have one for people like me and one more for the more interesting people of this world who need their testosterone levels (re)charged by a man who thumps tables and shouts!

References:

No comments:

Post a Comment